Manchester City’s Vincent Kompany had to be removed during the first half of the team’s 1-0 win over Newcastle on Wednesday night. The defender came off despite showing few signs of a major injury. He now faces another spell on the sidelines.
Kompany lasted a mere 11 minutes during the match and was removed in favour of striker Gabriel Jesus. The centre-back has missed 20 games this season already due to injuries, and it appears Kompany is set for more time on the sidelines.
Following last night’s win, manager Pep Guardiola spoke to the press about the player’s latest injury.
“I don’t know what is going to happen,” Guardiola said. “Unfortunately he is injured again.”
Manchester City had been linked with Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk as a replacement for the oft-injured Kompany. However, Liverpool signed the Dutch defender for a whopping £75 million just hours before Manchester City took the pitch.
Manchester City can’t count on Vincent Kompany
Kompany was taken off early during the Manchester Derby on December 10. Following the match, Guardiola said at the time: “Unfortunately we can’t count on him for a long time.”
At just 31-years old, Kompany has missed large chunks of the last few seasons. His contract expires in July 2019, and with his constant injury problems, the club could look elsewhere when his deal finishes.
According to those on hand for Manchester City’s win, it is believed Kompany picked up a calf injury. Reports indicate Kyle Walker relied a message to the bench during the match and it was overheard by those sitting near the dugouts. However, Kompany was not limping when he exited the field.
Manchester City have not spoken about the extent of the injury yet. But with the defender’s track record, it appears he could miss several games.
Is there a way back for Vincent Kompany or should Manchester City part ways with the often-injured player at the end of the season?